Med Fly syn. Mediterranean Fruit Fly Control
© Frances Michaels
Med Fly Ceratitis capitata
is a serious problem in WA but not found in other states. The adult flies
are 4-5 mm long with a yellow body and mottled wings. It attacks citrus and wide range of other fruit,
stonefruit and loquats are particularly vulnerable.
Suggested Organic Strategies
- Increase habitats for predators, such as ants, ground beetles, spiders and birds.
- Clean up all infected fruit as soon as possible. To destroy the maggots, immerse fruit in water or even
better place in a pot, bring to the boil and then feed it to poultry, or try placing fruit in a sealed,
black plastic bag in the sun.
- Use your orchard as a poultry forage area, to aid fruit fly control.
- Select early fruiting trees, to miss the onslaught of fruit fly.
- Grow dwarf varieties or keep trees small.
The tiny flies that hover around the fruit bowl are
, not fruit flies.
More information on organic fruit fly control...